Today's session on Dealing with Data has highlighted the importance of sharing. Ways we can share include through Google Forms, Google My Maps and Google Sheets.
Sharing
Using Digital technology means that we can share the learning in real-time with an authentic audience. The audience is the key part of the sharing process - genuine and purposeful. We really got to experience this when blogging during the lockdown. We can measure our audience and collect analytics. See the monthly statistics below:
Another reason we share is to finish the learning. Children need to experience finishing tasks they complete in education just like finishing activities in their everyday life. We need to model this to them at school. This is a challenging aspect to my teaching that I am always mindful of trying to improve.
Google Forms
I have used Google Forms to connect and sort information but it is helpful to know that I can adjust the settings by limiting responses to one response which allows the form to be completed only once. I can also preview the form before it is sent out and view the response data. Then I can export this data to a spreadsheet of results which can be continually updated.
I was really surprised when I learned that I can create quizzes and pick-a-paths using Google Forms! I had no idea that I could use Google Forms as an assessment and teaching tool with the children. I had always associated it with school trip or event data so this was a really enlightening takeaway from today.
Google My Maps
I have never used Google My Maps before although I am very familiar with Google Maps. This would fit nicely with our Antarctica topic for looking at animal habitats, landforms, Scott Base as well as measurement data comparing New Zealand and Antarctica. Here is my first go at trying out layering on my map. There is so much you can do on my maps. I still have much more to learn here!
Google Sheets
There were several new things I learned on sheets today. Firstly, I was so pleased to learn about the Command-F Find Bar today! This will make my planning so much quicker and save me scrolling the sheets in search for a particular child's progression data. It is also really handy to know how to freeze columns and rows to scroll through data more easily. And finally I can now use the formula button on the toolbar to find sums and averages of data. With this data I have learned to create charts using the explore button and insert them onto the spreadsheet then move them onto their own sheet. A great way to analyse data that I am looking forward to trying out with my home base and my blog.

Kia ora Angela,
ReplyDeleteAnother great reflective blogpost. I agree with the need to finish the learning although this does not always have to be evidenced by a blogpost. In some situations the blogpost may occur part way through the learning in order to ask for feedback or new ideas. I taught older students however I always built in finishing time into my planning as well as consequences for those that did not finish. I used a rubric to support this and found it allowed all learners to be successful if they focussed on their learning.
The Find Bar is a game changer and surprising not a well known tool, just like Google Forms often people do not see the multiple uses it can have.
Nga mihi,
Mark