Monday, September 7, 2020

DFI - Day 7

Today we focused on the devices our students use and focused on developing their Cybersmarts.

Why Cybersmart?

It is our responsibility as educators to ensure that our students can navigate online safely using the Kawa of Care. It would be irresponsible not to teach them how to be cybersmart. This would not be possible without regular cybersmart lessons to develop and promote these smarts. Families also have a key role in supporting children's learning. 

I really liked seeing the global themes of cybersmart growing. Going beyond protective to proactive. making it about the do's rather than the don'ts Reaching out through online platforms to spread positive, thoughtful and helpful messages. Perhaps this will have a bigger impact on improving mental health for our students in years to come. That would be great.

In our school, kindness fits with our school value of compassion. Messages that remind students to 'be the kind kid' and think positively are seen every day by our students, staff and families as large decals on our walls. This ties in with expectations in all we do, including how we behave online.

iPads 

In our junior hub, we support our students (and teachers) digital fluency through the use of iPads. It was great to spend time in the DFI sandpit trialling different functions of Explain Everything. I found adding soundbytes to each page a useful way to present information to students. I am looking forward to using soundbytes with non-readers to give instructions. I learned how to lasso to crop my picture and have gained a bit more confidence so that I can help my students. Can't wait to try these new skills in the hub. A very engaging and fun hands on experience that I know the students will love






No comments:

Post a Comment