Problem Identification
Knowing that change is coming and new skills are needed in the future workforce motivates me to reflect on my practice and to ask whether the way I teach is the best way for students to learn today. Am I meeting the needs of the learner? Am I flexible in my approach to teaching?
In my current practice in the junior hub I wonder if there is effective integration of digital tools in the literacy programme to engage the learners while promoting collaboration, creativity and student agency.
“In reflective practice, we seek deep engagement in learning, and relevance produces engagement. A relevant problem rivets attention and arouses the need to learn.” (Osterman, K. F., & Kottkamp, R. B., 2015, p.72)
Observation and analysis
I have gathered both quantitative and qualitative data on my learning journey during the Spiral of Inquiry process. Through comprehensive observations and analysis of all the factors and influences at play “we can examine our behavior more critically and develop a readiness for new ways of thinking and acting.”(Osterman, K. F., & Kottkamp, R. B., 2015, p.77)
I have gained several insights into the problem that is driving this change. Firstly, some adults (especially parents) perception of iPads are for playing games or as a reward. The technology needs to be used correctly as a learning tool in order for it to have an educational impact. Students also need to understand the purpose of iPad use in the hub.
Secondly, teachers knowledge of what apps to use for specific outcomes with junior students.
Thirdly, understanding what it means to integrate them into the existing literacy programme rather than just teaching separate lessons.
Abstract reconceptualisation
Research that has proved most useful to implement change in my practice has been ITL Research’s (2012) innovative teaching and learning activity design rubrics. These rubrics clearly outline the best methods required to build 21st Century skills and competencies. This research has influenced my planning when designing rich learning tasks and has allowed me to ensure the acquisition of 21st Century skills by utilising the clear flowcharts and tables. I have felt confident that by following these rubrics I am able to help identify and build 21st Century skills to better prepare students for the demands they will face entering the future workforce.
The learning theory of Connectivism “provides insight into learning skills and tasks needed for learners to flourish in a digital era.” (Siemens, G., 2004). Technology is reshaping our thinking and has major implications on our lives. It is becoming increasingly important to access information. Learning is no longer individualised or isolated but connected and collaborative. This demonstrates why it is vital to empower and connect our students.
As a teacher I have an obligation to meet high quality Ministry of Education standards (Ministry of Education, 2017), such as ‘Design for learning’. This standard is relevant to my use of ITL Research’s rubrics in that I am seeking to action my pedagogical knowledge through the selection of appropriate teaching approaches and strategies to meet the needs of learners, to enable agency and be adaptive in my teaching.
Active Experimentation
In my practice I am really trying to be more aware and observant of what learning is happening around me. Sometimes teachers are so busy that this often isn’t a priority. It all starts with awareness... “awareness is essential for behavioural change” (Osterman, K. F., & Kottkamp, R. B., 2015, p.66).
This has empowered me to confidently recognise what collaboration and use of ICT looks like and in the classroom. ITL Research is helping inform and refine my planning and consequently the learning is more authentic. I have learned the power of observation and reflection. “While experience is the basis for learning, learning cannot take place without reflection.” (Osterman, K. F., & Kottkamp, R. B., 2015, p.68).
References:
ITL Research. (2012). 21CLD Learning Activity Rubrics. Retrieved from https://education.microsoft.com/GetTrained/ITL-Research
Ministry of Education (2017). Our code, our standards. Retrieved from
https://educationcouncil.org.nz/content/our-code-our-standards
Osterman, K. F., & Kottkamp, R. B. (2015). Reflective practice for educators : professional development to improve student learning.(2nd ed.) New York: Skyhorse Publishing.
Siemens, G. (2004). Connectivism: A Learning Theory for the Digital Age. eLearnSpace. Retrieved from http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment