Sunday, July 7, 2019

Reflective entry 2: Discuss aspects of law, regulations or policy

As teachers, we have many factors that direct us in our teaching; The Education Council’s ‘Our Code, Our Standards’, the New Zealand Curriculum which has guided our own school curriculum document, plus the new Digital Curriculum, among others.


Some aspects of ‘Our Code, Our Standards’ that impact on teacher inquiry in my recent teaching practice include:


Commitment to the Teaching Profession

  

Collaborative practice impacts on our growth as teachers through teacher inquiry. I value collaborative discussion to inform my practice and this is enhanced through professional development within our school’s professional learning group meetings. Wood (2015) states there are many benefits to undertaking collaborative practice and that several authors endorse conducting inquiry in groups.


Wood states that “active participation in regular scheduled meetings devoted to Teaching as Inquiry was recognised by teachers as a significant enabling factor for them to thoroughly reflect on teaching and learning” (Wood, C., 2015, p.97). He also says that  the conditions for learning to occur are reliant on opportunities provided by leaders.


Commitment to Learners


From experience I have learned that there are several processes that need to be occurring for effective teacher inquiry to take place. These include classroom observation, collaboration and problem based learning. In terms of classroom observation, I am finding it challenges my thinking to step back from the learning in order to better notice and observe in our hub’s Learning through Play area. I have found it hard to step back and refrain from interrupting children at play. Even so, this has allowed me to improve my data collection that subsequently caters better to developmental urges that students display, therefore promoting inclusiveness, engagement and supporting the well-being of the learners. The Education Council (2017) in ‘Our Code, Our Standards’ states the need for teachers to undertake inquiry and “ improve professional capability to impact on the learning and achievement of all learners.” (Education Council, 2017, p18). 


Commitment to Families and Whanau

I am constantly engaging with families and whanau in a professional and respectful nature and through the Principals encouragement I find myself striving to improve methods of clear communication across a variety of digital and traditional platforms to ensure caregivers are fully informed and to promote transparency. At our school we use various digital means such as LincEd for reporting to parents. This involves sharing data. As a teacher, I am continuously needing to ensure that privacy, health and safety are paramount and respected at all times when sharing information and dealing with individual issues. 


Commitment to Society

Today’s children are growing up in an increasingly demanding new digital age. I believe that it is vital to prepare them to be future-focused for the changing nature of the workforce. In line with international research, in my teacher Inquiry I endeavour to integrate digital technology into the curriculum to prepare students for a seamless transition into challenges they face joining the future workforce.


My thoughts

Looking at these codes and standards has helped me to reaffirm my practice and feel positive about the direction I am headed. Needless to say, I am constantly reflecting on my practice and learning from experiences.


I am ensuring that inquiry is evidence-based to meet individual needs of the learners. At times, this means I need to adjust my planning to address school privacy, health and safety policies and cater my planning in the best interests of the individuals at the centre. 


Teacher Inquiry forms a major part of the appraisal process policy in my school. As a part of this, I feel lucky to collaborate in small professional learning groups to build my professional knowledge and understanding. Through this “effective annual appraisal process, teachers are enabled to grow, learn and meet the dynamic challenges of their role.” (Education Council, n.d., p.1).





References:


Education Council (2017). Our Code, Our Standards. Retrieved from https://teachingcouncil.nz/sites/default/files/Our%20Code%20Our%20Standards%20web%20booklet%20FINAL.pdf


Education Council (n.d.). Appraisal as a catalyst for improved learner outcomes. Retrieved from https://teachingcouncil.nz/sites/default/files/ERO_Appraisal.pdf


Wood, C.(2015).Teaching as Inquiry: form, purpose and application in New Zealand secondary schools. (Published Master's’ thesis). Unitec, Auckland, New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment