I have been very focused on starting off on the right foot with my two ORS kids this year. It is important to me to begin to form positive relationships from day one. I was fortunate enough to sit in on their lesson last year to see what a lesson looked like for them but it was still nerve-wrecking starting off and wondering how they would take to a change of teacher let alone do any learning.
I was told Aidan either likes you or doesn't like you so to start I asked to co-teach him with the help of his teacher aide who knows him very well. This was really beneficial for me as they have a strong relationship and I could pick up on ways to carry that over to my teaching of him.
I continued to visit him in his classroom and to work alongside him and his teacher aide throughout the first week of the term. I felt this way that the transition to my teaching space would be a smoother one and easier on the both of us while we were still getting to know each other. This worked a treat and we were both a lot more comfortable when he started to visit me in my teaching space from week two. It gave me a good basis on which to start getting to know him.
As for Julia, I had heard that she enjoys reading but is starting to push boundaries. The first day we sat outside her classroom and did some reading. She was pleasant and very engaged. Since that day we moved into my teaching space as she was happy to do so and it happens to be conveniently located next to her classroom, making for a smooth transition.
It has so far been slow progress as I am learning more about their needs and personalities.. and discovering their stubborn streaks and the value of offering perks.
You put some valuable thought and preparation into getting to know the best ways to work with these children Angela. It can be nerve wracking establishing a relationship when you are to work 1:1 with children. It has obviously paid off as I see that you enjoy great success with these two children.
ReplyDeleteThanks Angela for sharing your reflections on establishing relationships with your students. It is clear to me that you work hard to make these relationships as successful as you can. I like that you went the extra mile to visit students in their familiar classroom setting.
ReplyDelete